If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (201) 656-0035

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Risks of Grill Fires

6/7/2023 (Permalink)

Summer is here, so that usually means families are grilling more often. Whether you’re having a BBQ or just grilling dinner for the family, the grill is being used a lot more. Everyone loves grilling, especially for a BBQ - but there are some things you should keep an eye out for to prevent fires and accidents.

Keep the Lid Open
You’d be surprised how many people get sent to the emergency room due to lighting their grill the wrong way. According to the National Fire Prevention Association, within a 4-year span, an average of 19,700 patients per year went to the ER because of injuries involving grills. Why? The common mistake people make is turning the propane on and lighting the grill with the lid shut. This allows a dangerous buildup of flammable gas.

Check for Gas Leaks
You’ll be able to do a leak check where the hose hooks up to the propane grill, as well as the burners. If the connections are not tight, you can have a leak. Also, be sure to check the hose throughout the grill to ensure that everything is tight.

Do a Basic Inspection
If your grill has been out all year, it’s a good idea to do a basic inspection before putting it to use. Make sure there are no birds’ nests, bugs, or any other hints that an animal had been living there rent-free for the winter.

After that, you are free to do a decent cleaning. You’ll want to ensure that any of last year’s grease isn’t still hanging on.

Old Grill Utensils
Old grill utensils can not only cause an unwanted spark, but damage to you and your food. There had been many reports of people going to the emergency room due to consuming bristles and stainless steel - as they broke off the tools and cooked into your food. This is also an alarming thought because if your tool breaks while the fire is on, you could have a large fire problem to put out.

Be Careful Where You Position the Grill
If your grill is up on your deck or even in your yard, just be careful where you position it. It should not be close against your home, fencing, or anything that can melt or catch fire. The back of the grill gets extremely hot and will take advantage of melting anything that is behind it.

Choose the Right Grill
Gas grills are easier to maintain and don’t get as hot as charcoal grills. You should note that charcoal grills are more dangerous, as the heat in enclosed spaces can quickly reach 600F, posing a serious fire hazard. This is important to know, especially if you choose to grill on a windy day. Making sure all of the charcoals are cooled before heading in for the night is also extremely important.

If you’re tailgating at a sports event and bring your charcoal grill - it is extremely important to make sure the coals are cooled before entering the stadium, as your grill will be surrounded by many vehicles.

Happy Grilling!
We hope that this information is helpful and keeps you aware of any fire risks during grilling season. In the event that you do have a fire emergency, SERVPRO is the restoration company that will get your home back to the way it was before, like it never even happened.

About SERVPRO Team Harvey
SERVPRO of Hoboken/Union City is proudly owned by Lance and Jennifer Harvey - a husband and wife duo that owns three other SERVPRO locations, including SERVPRO of Lower Manhattan, SERVPRO of West Somerset County, and SERVPRO of Aberdeen/Holmdel.

We understand the stress and worry that comes with a fire or water damage and the disruption it causes your home or business. Our goal is to help minimize the interruption to your life and quickly make it “like it never even happened.”

Other News

View Recent Posts