Fires are More Common Than You Think
There is a long list of causes when it comes to home fires. They're beginning to become a commonality. When you're a victim of a house fire you lose everything; all the memories you've made, burnt to a crisp.
Some practices to preventing a fire in your home are as follows:
- Make sure everything is switched OFF and unplugged
- Check/Inspect your chimney annually
- Keep comforters and anything flammable away from heaters
- Test fire alarms/ replace batteries frequently
- Never smoke in the home
- Keep a spoon or spatula as a reminder when cooking/ do not leave stove tops unattended when lit
It is widely recommended that families practice a fire escape route in the event a fire does occur. No one sees a fire coming and it's best you know what plan of action to take in case you're faced with one.
In the event your home has endured a fire, call SERVPRO of Hoboken/ Union City at 201-656-0035 and we'll make it "Like it never even happened."
What is National Preparedness Month?
We do know it's only April, but that doesn't mean you can't get ready for National Preparedness month!
September is National Preparedness Month, an annual awareness event sponsored by the Federal Emergency Management Agency. We at SERVPRO of Hoboken/Union City think this is a great time for business owners to review their emergency preparedness and business continuity plans.
Look at the startling statistics like this one to emphasize the importance of advance planning: according to FEMA, as many as 40 percent of businesses never reopen following a major flood disaster.
Because we know the time to create a disaster readiness plan is before it's needed, our corporate offices developed the SERVPRO Emergency READY Program to help business owners create an Emergency READY Profile for their facility, at no charge.
Are you ready for your Emergency Ready Program? Give us a call and we'll schedule an appointment. We're READY to help, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You know our motto, "Like it never even happened."
Crushed eggshells sprinkled around your flower beds or veggie gardens will prevent slugs from passing through. Crushed eggshells also provide a nice calcium supplement for vegetable beds.
Here are some other Garden tips that can save tons of time and energy.
1. If its getting cold and you have tomatoes still ripening on the vine — save your tomatoes! Pull the plants up and bring them inside to a warm dry place. Hang them up, and the tomatoes will ripen on the vine.
2. Keep garden vegetables from getting dirty by spreading a 1-2 inch layer of mulch (untreated by pesticides or fertilizers) around each plant. This will also help keep the weeds down.
3. Paint the handles of your gardens tools a bright, color other than green to help you find them amongst your plants. You can also keep a mailbox in your garden for easy tool storage.
4. Compost needs time to integrate and stabilize in the soil. Apply two to three weeks prior to planting.
5. There is an easy way to mix compost into your soil without a lot of back breaking work: Spread the compost over your garden in the late fall, after all the harvesting is done. Cover with a winter mulch such as hay or chopped leaves and let nature take its course. By spring, the melting snow and soil organisms will have worked the compost in for you.
6. Like vining vegetables, but don’t have the room? Train your melons, squash, and cucumbers onto a vertical trellis or fence. Saves space and looks pretty too.
7. Garden vegetables that become over-ripe are an easy target for some pests. Remove them as soon as possible to avoid detection.
8. Onions are ready to harvest when the tops have fallen over. Let the soil dry out, harvest, and store in a warm, dry, dark place until the tops dry. Cut off the foliage down to an inch, then store in a cool, dry area.
9. Over watering is worse than under watering. It is easier to revive a dry plant than try to dry out drowned roots.
10. When planting a flower or vegetable transplant, deposit a handful of compost into each hole. Compost will provide transplants with an extra boost that lasts throughout the growing season.
11. Insects can’t stand plants such as garlic, onions, chives and chrysanthemums. Grow these plants around the garden to help repel insects.
12. Plants will do best if they are well suited to your growing area. Take some time to read up and choose plants accordingly.
13. For easy peas, start them indoors. The germination rate is far better, and the seedlings will be healthier and better able to fight off pests and disease.
14. If you’re short on space, garlic, leeks and shallots make excellent container plants. They tend to have few insect or disease problems and don’t require much room for roots.
15. Another reason to use natural and organic fertilizers and soil amendments: earthworms love them! Earthworms are extremely beneficial in the vegetable garden; increasing air space in the soil and leaving behind worm castings. Do what you can to encourage earthworms in your soil.
16. Water your garden in the early morning to conserve moisture loss and to help avoid powdery mildew and other fungal diseases that are often spread by high humidity levels.
17. Some vegetables actually become better after a first frost, including kale, cabbage, parsnips, carrots, and Brussels sprouts.
18. When transplanting tomatoes, cover the stem with soil all the way up to the first set of leaves. This greatly encourages root growth, making a stronger, healthier plant.
19. Healthy soil means a thriving population of microbes, earthworms and other organisms. A soil that has “good tilth” will produce robust garden plants that are better able to resist pests and disease.
20. A simple five percent increase in organic material (compost) quadruples the soil’s ability to store water.
Here at SERVPRO of Hoboken/Union City we have a long list of jobs we specialize in going beyond fire, soot, and mold. Cleaning up fire damage is one of our specialties. So naturally, when a local high school suffered a grease fire in their kitchen we were more than happy to help clean up the damage. It is our job here at SERVPRO to make accidents look "Like it never even happened." The extent of the fire was pretty bad as soot covered most the walls. Our team used our special SERVPRO cleaning products to help restore the kitchen to a much cleaner state. The owners of the property were very pleased with the rate of our work as well as the final product.
Local Sewage Damage
Our crew here at SERVPRO of Hoboken/ Union City work day in and day out to provide our customers with the best service to ensure the best results. One of our clients had a case of sewer damage and called us to help with the problem. You can see in the picture where most of the damage had taken place. The sewage reached a couple of inches, which is never a good thing. Our crew set up a draining system with trash pumps that moved the sewage from the property and placed it where it belongs, in the sewer. These types of jobs are never the prettiest but our crew is trained well and knows exactly what to do in these circumstances. Our client was very pleased with the results they received.
Let's Weather The Storm Together
No one can control the wrath of Mother Nature and when she passes through it’s not always for the best. Stormsin particular arevery unpredictable. You never know just how much it will affect you. A storm could simply pass through and leave nodamagebut it can also tear through your home or property severely. Here at SERVPRO of Hoboken/Union City we know your home or property have a significant meaning to you. We’re here to assure you that if anything happens to yourpropertywe are ready and willing to fix it. Whether it is excavating water or rebuilding your property new, we have you covered. Being an emergency service allows us to help you no matter what time of day. We’ll take care of what you love.
Mold Removal VS. Mold Remediation
Since microscopic mold spores exist naturally almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors, removing all mold from a home or business is impossible. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold. This is a fallacy.
A qualified restoration company understands the science behind mold and mold growth. SERVPRO Franchise Professionals have the training and expertise to remediate the mold in your home or business. Mold remediation focuses on getting mold levels back to normal, natural levels.
Every mold damage scenario is different and requires a unique solution, but the general mold remediation process stays the same. To learn more about our mold remediation process.
Follow us on Social Media !
Photo courtesy of Instagram
We finally took a leap into the socially hip world of Instagram and Twitter!
So, what should you expect from us? You'll definitely get some great tips concerning everyday life or tips about what to do in emergency situations. You may also get some random happenings at our office or at the job sites - maybe a couple of before and after photos. There may be photos of important special events that we attend. Sometimes there might be a funny meme post for laughs or maybe a new restaurant in our area that we will recommend you to try. With social media constantly advancing we decided to join the world of Instagram and Twitter so you can see our daily adventures, share laughs, and receive wonderful daily life tips.
Check us out on Instagram @SERVPROHoLoNYC and Twitter @SERVPROofNYNJ
Spring is Here!
Spring is in the air ladies and gentlemen! Here comes the blooming flowers and beautiful weather. However, along with saying goodbye to winter, we also have to welcome sniffles and sneezes. Yes, allergy season is here as well, unfortunately. While others are frolicking in the spring breeze, there are those who are stopping at their local drug stores for allergy medication. For those who have to take extra precautions during this time of the year, here are some tips to make spring enjoyable rather than bearable.
- Laundry, laundry, laundry! After being outside pollen may stick to clothing and the skin/hair. Be sure to wash clothing after being outside!
- For homeowners: Make sure to mow your lawn! Take care of those pesky weeds and other flowers that release pollen.
- Keep windows and doors closed during days where there are high pollen levels.
- Dehumidifiers and air filters in your home may be very helpful!
- Clean, clean, clean!
Have a wonderful spring everyone!
Stairwell after our crew cleaned it.
Our crew at SERVPRO is trained to handle this kind of situation. Not pictured here is the damage before our crew went in and cleaned it. We understand that these jobs are sensitive and therefore we have left out the before picture. Blood classifies as a bio-hazard job; this type of clean up should be done by professionals as there are diseases that this exposure can lead to. Our team goes in with the proper attire, protection, and tools get the job done. Pictured here is the aftermath of our clean up. Upon cleaning up the blood off the steps the damage that was there before was no longer visible to the naked eye. Here at SERVPRO of Hoboken/Union City and SERVPRO of Lower Manhattan we are always up for any type of damage.