Keep Your Hoboken Home Safe From Fire Damage
Residential fires are one of the most depressing disasters one can go through. There are many causes of house fires and some you may not even be aware of. Here’s a list of causes and prevention tips to keep your Hoboken home safe from fire damage.
Here are some of the top sources of holiday home fires (and how to prevent them from damaging your home):
Whether you have a space heater from the 90s that is still kicking or a new, visually appealing fireplace heater, here are some tips to help you avoid a fire due to your heater.
- Never turn on a heater you suspect is damaged.
- Before use, inspect the heater, power cord, and plug for any defects.
- Never leave the heater operating while unattended, or while you’re sleeping.
- Keep materials such as beds, sofas, curtains, papers, and clothes at least 3 feet from the front, top, sides, and back of the heater.
- Make sure the heater plug fits tightly into the outlet - if not, don’t use this outlet. Poor electrical connections are another leading cause of fires.
- Ensure that the heater is placed on a stable, level surface and located where it will not be knocked over.
One of the deadliest types of fires that occurs during the holiday season involves live Christmas trees. Here are some tips to help you avoid Christmas tree fires.
- Keep your tree properly watered
- Check for electrical issues and broken bulbs when hanging lights on the tree.
- Remove heat sources in close proximity to the tree.
- Unplug your tree when you’re not home and overnight.
There’s nothing like sitting in front of a fire, sipping cocoa, and watching a holiday movie. However, if you’re not careful - your fireplace could start a house fire. Here are some tips to help you avoid this from happening.
- Clean up build-up and ash before lighting a new fire.
- Schedule an annual chimney inspection before the season.
- Use safe fire starters - this includes well-seasoned hardwood or CSIA-approved logs.
- For kindling, stick to fired twigs or branches
- Ensure all of the embers are completely burnt out before heading to bed.
Faulty or Dead Fire Alarms
It is very important to replace broken fire alarms or replace their batteries when they are dead. This is the only way many people know there is a fire in their home, especially over night when they are asleep.
Smoking in your home can cause house fires. If a cigarette or any alternative is not put out completely, it can catch onto something nearby and cause a fire. The smartest thing to do is not smoke in your home - this will prevent any worries or fires.
Some practices to preventing a fire in your home are as follows:
- Make sure everything is switched OFF and unplugged
- Check/inspect your chimney annually
- Keep comforters and anything flammable away from heaters
- Test fire alarms/replace batteries frequently
- Never smoke in the home
- Keep a spoon or spatula as a reminder when cooking/do not leave stovetops unattended when lit.
It is widely recommended that families practice a fire escape route in the event a fire does occur. No one sees a fire coming and it’s best you know what plan of action to take in case you’re faced with one.
Reach out with any and all of your questions and inquiries: (201) 656-0035
About SERVPRO Team Harvey
SERVPRO of Hoboken/Union City is proudly owned by Lance and Jennifer Harvey - a husband and wife duo that owns three other SERVPRO locations, including SERVPRO of West Somerset County, SERVPRO of Lower Manhattan, and SERVPRO of Aberdeen/Holmdel.
We understand the stress and worry that comes with a fire or water damage and the disruption it causes your home or business. Our goal is to help minimize the interruption to your life and quickly make it “like it never even happened.”